Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The world of Advertisements & TV commercials!

Ever since I was a child, I have been fond of advertisements..Most people find them annoying in the middle of their favorite program.. I do too when I am watching a movie/program very intently.. Yet I like watching these mini-movies put together artistically. For me they are a big deal. Just like for the Advertising industry..they are huge projects to be undertaken very carefully & strategically.. For many others like me - they are not just a promotion selling something. They are these sequences that come up to us & involve us with whatever they are doing/selling. Many of us - like to just notice the commercial's characters ..its way of selling...its music...its dialogue and so on.. And we tend to associate the products we buy and use with these commercials - the way it has been presented/sold to us.  So they are certainly not measly messages but have become a big part of our lives..

Today advertisements are in every zone of the fast-paced life we are living in. The marketing teams want us to notice their products/services anywhere we can put our eyes on...
Be it our cell-phones..bills...shopping carts...banners..beverage napkins...and the list is very long!
But at this moment I am just talking only about TV advertisements..

When I was a kid, those 12-40 second TV  promotions were like wonderful diversions to me..Be it a boring serial on Doordarshan or a meal that I am disliking to my core..
These colorful promotions in the middle of news & serials used to bring in variety of things to our living room.

I am sure most of us can go back & recall a couple of advertisements that tickled us ..or have touched us deeply. Be it the cute Utterly Butterly Delicious - Amul or the healthy hearty Dadaji (Grandfather) in Parle-G...or the bubbly Preity Zinta in the Liril promo dancing her heart out in the waterfall ....or Amir Khan in those funny characters popularizing Coke all over India... We have seen them all.. Does't mean all the advertisements that are telecast are great & funny..Often they are uninteresting and at times ridiculous too! Completely fail to hit the mark on the target audience.. But I feel the good & the better ones often compensate for the not-so-good ones..for us Ad lovers atleast!

For me the Cadbury's Dairy Milk advertisement has to be the one that I loved (and still love) watching..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBbT4t7l4k  Here's the link ..To cherish once more - for those who love it the way I do..Or to enjoy - for those who haven't seen this one!
Every time I have seen this Ad it brings me a nice big smile! Be it the first smile of the day or one amongst many..
The beautiful enthusiastic girl....the shy cricketer...the annoyed suited gentleman....and the helpless guard....Very very simple things..but a beautiful sequence when put together.. It touched so many of us in our teenage years.. Lot of girls just wanted to buy the Dairy Milk to have it with their boy-friends after their big match!!

I don't know if the design/marketing team was a genius & knew they were catching on the pulse of the youth at that time - or it was just pure luck! But I know (now) that the following advertisements having the same song & multiple cute day-to-day characters was not just luck. It was definitely a campaign.. A heart-warming campaign that touched young & old hearts... And Dairy Milk became a beautiful...romantic...gift & notion from just a simple old chocolate bar!! Don't take me wrong..Its not just words.. Its an awesome chocolate too. After tasting a variety of chocolates here in the US - I can still cherish 1 big bar lovingly & heartily :-)

So once again..I am not here to criticize or make an official statement for any of these commercials.. But just want to share what I notice..observe...feel..like/dislike about them.. I feel my hands are not co-operating with my thoughts.. I have so many commercials I would like to begin with and I feel I am unable to type that fast!!! So I will take it slow..one by one.. and would keep posting my thoughts here on ..enjoying the journey...cherishing the old forgotten ads....and embracing the new ones....From India and Elsewhere... :-)

Till the next posting..my fellow Ad lovers...Enjoy (some of) the above mentioned ads...
Amul 







No comments:

Post a Comment